Gut-Boosting Kimchi Grain Bowl
Gut boosting kimchi and Korean-inspired flavours combine in this vibrant grain bowl - delivering a delicious, plant-powered boost in every bite
A delightfully sweet and sour dish, loaded up with scorched tamari mushrooms, baby corn and protein-packed edamame, folded through a base of tender pearl barley and black rice, served up with a hit of zingy, spiced kimchi.
Loaded with vitamins, minerals and those all-important probiotics, to boost your gut health. Ready in just 30 minutes and perfect as a weeknight dinner, this Korean-inspired dish will have your taste buds dancing!
We’ve typed up the method and ingredients below, so have a go and savour the flavour.
Serves: 4 | Time: 30 mins
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1/2 cup wild rice
- 3 portobello mushrooms
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 2 tsp tamari
- 2/3 cup edamame beans
- 2/3 cup chopped savoy cabbage
- 7 baby corn
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cup vegan kimchi
- 2.5 cups veg stock (low salt)
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp apple sauce
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean chili paste)
- 2 heaped tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 cup passata
- 1/2 onion
- Add the wild rice to a saucepan, top up with water and boil until al dente (~25 mins), then drain. In a separate pan, repeat the steps above with the pearl barley.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C. Wash and slice the mushrooms into 5cm chunks, toss with olive oil and tamari and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- To make the sauce, place all the ingredients for the sauce (from the veg stock down to 1/2 onion) into a blender and blitz until smooth.
- Prep the baby corn by slicing into 3, chop the kimchi into smaller slices and toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan.
- Pour the sauce into a large pan, add the cabbage, baby corn and edamame beans and gently heat through until warm. Add in the grains and mushrooms and stir through until warm.
- Serve immediately with a side of kimchi and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.
- Live fully ✨