log in to change your dishes, update your order or redeem rewards
Spiced Rice Pudding
Move over porridge, we're bringing rice pudding back.
Rice pudding. The stuff is truly magical: it’s creamy, sweet and hearty - basically everything you want to eat as the season starts to change. This one is perfectly spiced, and topped with caramelised nuts and an optional (but highly recommended) scoop of ice cream.
Spiced Rice Pudding (serves 4-5):
1 cup arborio/pudding rice
1 cup walnuts
To make the rice pudding:
- Add the rice, coconut milk, regular milk and coconut sugar into a saucepan over medium heat. Once combined, add in the chai tea bags, cinnamon stick, vanilla and a pinch of salt (don't skip the salt!).
- Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Let the rice cook for around 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the milk has been absorbed by the ice. Taste for sugar and cinnamon, and adjust to your preference.
- Remove from heat and serve.
To make the caramelised nuts:
- Add the chopped walnuts, coconut sugar and vegan butter to a pan over medium heat. Stir until combined, and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until the sugar and butter have melted together.
- Once the nuts are coated, transfer to a parchment-lined baking tray and separate them with a spoon so they set separately. Lightly salt, and let cool for 15-20 minutes. Store in an air-tight container or jar.
To serve: pour a big spoon of rice pudding into a bowl, topped with a scoop of vegan ice cream and a handful of candied nuts.
Note: the rice pudding holds up stored for a few days. If re-heating form refrigerated, warm the rice pudding up with a few extra tbsp of milk and then serve as normal.