Vegan Cocktail Recipes: Bramble
Autumn is the season of blackberries, so why not honour them with a Bramble cocktail?
What is a Bramble cocktail?
Brambles have been around since the 1980s and have been a firm favourite of gin-lovers ever since. They’re a creation by Dick Bradsell – Isle of Wight born man who turned cocktail-making into an art-form, with the espresso martini perhaps his most notable achievement. Brambles are originally inspired by his childhood memories of collecting blackberries – which is one of our top seasonal activities too. (Does this make us a cocktail connoisseur by default? Let’s go with ‘yes’).
The contemporary classic drink itself is a confident blend of sour blackberries and lemon, hearty sweetness with an underlying crispness from English gin.
Are Brambles vegan?
In a word, yes! We’re very grateful because we love this delicious and slightly sour cocktail. Here are the ingredients you’ll find in a traditional Bramble cocktail:
- 45 ml of your favourite gin
- 12.5 ml of crème de mûre – blackberry liqueur made with red wine, vodka and heaps of sugar
- 12.5ml of cane sugar syrup
- 30 ml of fresh lemon juice
- Serve over crushed ice in an Old Fashioned glass with a lemon slice and blackberries to garnish.
Here are a few of our favourite Bramble cocktail recipes, some classic and some with a twist:
- This Bramble recipe from Craft Gin Club is as close to a classic as you’ll get, so definitely a great place to start your Bramble journey if you’re a beginner.
- If you’d like a longer drink, then this recipe from Feasting at Home contains an extra fresh kick from ginger ale.
- Not drinking tonight? Try this delicious virgin Bramble recipe from Chow Hound for all the flavour and none of the alcohol.
Crème de mûre recipe
This is the name for the blackberry liqueur that gives a Bramble its signature flavour. This is a great recipe from A Tipsy Giraffe, and one of the most imaginative ways to use excess blackberries whilst they’re in season. We think a bottle of this would also make a great gift.
By Fabian Jackson
Fabian is one of our lovely Content Marketing Assistants who loves writing almost as much as he loves coffee, old episodes of Escape to the Country (no judgement here), and cooking up a storm in his kitchen.
MORE GREAT READS
Let us take care of dinner
We help to make eating more plants easy and delicious. Fancy letting us take care of dinner? Check out our delicious meals here.