Veganuary 2020: Fun Facts And Figures
by Laura Barns
Taking on Veganuary 2021? Thanks to growing plant-based offerings in restaurants and supermarkets across the UK and beyond, it’s never been easier or tastier.
If you’d like some extra motivation, check out these fun facts and figures from last year’s campaign, all taken from Veganuary’s official 2020 report.
1. Three new Hollywood A-list celebrities were brought on as Veganuary ambassadors in 2020: Joaquin Phoenix, Alicia Silverstone, and Mayim Bialik.
2. During the campaign, the Veganuary logo was used and printed over 100 million times by businesses promoting Veganuary in Germany alone.
3. Bookings in German vegan restaurants in January 2020 grew by 100% compared to January 2019
4. 2020 was the most impactful year yet – with 400,000 people signing up to try Veganuary in January 2020. Also, there were over 1370 media stories published internationally and thousands of companies launching new plant-based products, or using their advertising budget to shout loudly about vegan options and promotions
5. People from almost every country in the world signed up to try Veganuary last year. The only countries without participants were North Korea, Vatican City and Eswatini (formerly known as Swaziland)
6. Data commissioned with Kantar showed the number of animal lives spared through the 2020 Veganuary campaign was a staggering 3.4 million animals
7. Over 550 new vegan menu options were added to chain restaurants including; Pizza Hut’s Pepperphoni Pizza, Greggs’ Vegan Steak Bake, Subway’s Meatless Meatball Marinara Melt and Mcdonald’s Veggie Dippers
8. 57 companies and institutions from the UK, US and Germany got on board, not only supporting their workforce to eat vegan in January, but in many cases, leading by example with CEOs and other senior team leaders taking part
9. Veganuary launched in four additional regions: the United States, South Africa, several Latin American countries and Germany
10. Top Veganuary countries by order of sign-ups: 1. United Kingdom, 2. United States of America, 3. Germany, 4. Chile, 5. Argentina, 6. Mexico, 7. Italy, 8. South Africa, 9. Australia, 10. Sweden
11. Among the new Veganuary participants were rock legend Brian May, Dragons’ Den star Deborah Meaden and actor Rebecca Callard, all of whom enjoyed the month so much they are going to make permanent diet changes
We’re here to help you storm through Veganuary with ease. Check out our menu of over 30 plant-based dishes, breakfasts, desserts and more and order your box today.
By Laura Barns
Laura is our Copywriter, who is obsessed with the Hearty Roots Stew (and has been known to eat a double serve for lunch on more than one occasion). On her day off you’ll find her walking her puppy Ralph, stopping off at bookshops and cocktail bars along the way.