What Is Kefir, And Is It Vegan?
Here at allplants, we’re always keeping an eye out for what’s making waves in the world of plant-powered goodness, and today we’re looking at vegan kefir.
Whether you’ve been vegan for years or you’re simply thinking about upping your plant intake, switching out dairy-based drinks for a plant substitute is not only better for you and the environment, but also tastes delicious too. This is doubly true when it comes to the healing properties of kefir.
What is kefir?
Kefir is all the range in health food circles and has been for years. It’s a fermented milk drink that’s generally been appreciated mostly by dairy drinkers, but fear not, there are plenty of vegan-friendly kefir options. The drink contains kefir grains, a mesophilic symbiotic culture of yeast and bacteria that feed on the sugars in the milk to produce a sour, carbonated and slightly alcoholic drink that tastes like a tangy yoghurt with great health benefits.
What are the health benefits of kefir
Kefir is protein-rich, nutrient-dense and full of great health benefits, such as:
- It’s a more powerful probiotic than yoghurt and can help digestion
- It has antibiotic properties
- It can improve bone health and lowering the risk of osteoporosis
- It’s full of vitamin B12, D, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium
- And it’s thought to improve allergy and asthma symptoms
Although traditionally it’s a cultured drink made using dairy-milk, there are so many delicious kefir plant-based options that are widely available. Here are a few of our favourite picks:
- We love everything that Coyo make, and their Coyo Kefir is no exception – it’s fresh, tangy and ideal in smoothies, mixed through a large bowl of granola, or simply as it is
- If you’d like an on-the-go option that’s already packing extra flavours, then you’ll love Sojade’s blueberry and cherry soya kefir
- For a thicker consistency Shimmy Shimmy’s coconut kefir yoghurt alternative is your best bet. We love it with fresh fruit and lots of maple syrup
By Fabian Jackson
Fabian is one of our lovely Content Marketing Assistants who loves writing almost as much as he loves coffee, old episodes of Escape to the Country (no judgement here), and cooking up a storm in his kitchen.
MORE GREAT READS
Let us take care of dinner
We help to make eating more plants easy and delicious. Fancy letting us take care of dinner? Check out our delicious meals here.