5 Reasons Why You Should Include Brazil Nuts In Your Diet
A tasty addition in soups and stir frys or as a snack, brazil nuts are equally delicious as they are nutritious. Read on for the full lowdown on why they are a great ingredient to add to your grocery list.
What are Brazil nuts?
Brazil nuts are seeds native to South America, and the brazil nut tree is actually one of the longest living found in the Amazon rainforest. They are found raw in a shell similar to that of a coconut, which when opened reveals a handful of brazil nuts.
Why are they so special?
- They are the richest source of selenium in the world. Selenium is a mineral that is essential to a healthy and developed immune system. A single brazil nut offers your recommended daily intake and then some.
- They’re a great brain-food. Brazil nuts are a great source of a polyphenol known as ellagic acid which supports brain health and may have antidepressant properties.
- They protect the cells. Brazil nuts are full of antioxidants, which protect the cells in our body from damage from free radicals, which can come from sunlight and pollution.
- Support thyroid health. Its high content of selenium and antioxidants are key to a healthy thyroid, the gland that controls your metabolism and therefore energy.
- May help lower cholesterol. Brazil nuts are high in polyunsaturated, which can significantly improve cholesterol levels.
How to eat brazil nuts
It's a versatile nut, so why not try adding it to the next mix of granola you make for a breakfast that’ll power you through your morning?
nuts image image source: Brazil bus travel
By Toni Olukiran
Toni is one of our lovely Content Marketing Assistants, and when she’s not writing posts about everything from Jamaican cooking to vegan champagne, she’s making a Spotify playlist (she was at 200, at her last count) or playing tennis in the park.
MORE GREAT READS
Let us take care of dinner
We help to make eating more plants easy and delicious. Fancy letting us take care of dinner? Check out our delicious meals here.