Vegan Foods That Naturally Lower Blood Sugar
Want to know how to lower your blood sugar with some easy dietary tips? Keep reading to learn what foods will help lower blood sugar and some tasty plant-based recipes.
How the right foods can help lower blood sugar
Lowering or regulating your blood sugars can be vital to anyone with prediabetes, diabetes or other health conditions that are affected by blood sugar levels and diet can play a big part in staying healthy.
Anyone whose body can’t produce enough insulin on its own has their health affected by spikes in blood sugars, ranging from exhaustion to heart disease. To stop glucose collecting in the blood, eating food and drinks that the body can absorb slowly is key for dietary management. (source)
List of foods that lower blood sugar naturally
- Oats – oatmeal, in particular, is thought to be great for glucose control
- Garlic – the compounds found in garlic could help improve insulin sensitivity and secretion
- Kimchi – fermented foods like kimchi are packed with healthy compounds, minerals and probiotics that can have been linked with improved blood sugar
- Broccoli – eating cruciferous vegetables like broccoli has been linked to a lowered risk of type 2 diabetes
- Citrus fruits – its thought that eating whole citrus fruits can help improve insulin sensitivity
- Kale – the flavonoid antioxidant compounds in kale have blood sugar-lowering properties
- Pumpkin – packed with healthy fats and proteins, which is known to be good for blood sugar control
- Nut butter – great for long-term blood sugar control
Let us know if you have any other recipe recommendations in the comments below.
by Fabian Jackson
Fabian is one of our lovely Content Marketing Assistants who loves writing almost as much as he loves coffee, old episodes of Escape to the Country (no judgement here), and cooking up a storm in his kitchen.