Grill Power: A Vegan BBQ Guide
by Laura Barns
Think you need to say goodbye to BBQs when going vegan? Think again.
There are loads of ways you can host (or attend) a crowd-pleasing back garden blowout full of tasty vegan BBQ food. You just need some killer recipes, and a few extra tricks up your sleeve. Lucky for you, we’ve got both.
Hosting a vegan BBQ?
We’ve got loads of vegan BBQ ideas to make the day a fun (and tasty) one. If you fancy getting creative in the kitchen, here are some of our favourite vegan bbq friendly recipes.
- Spring greens tart: dodge the grill with this tempting tart packed with tender veg (try saying that after a few proseccos)
- Potato and red onion pizza: yes, you read that right. With every ingredient, this hero gets tastier, crunchier and more satisfying
- Thai loaded sweet potatoes: barbecues are ALWAYS better with jacket potatoes. And yours will be WAY better with these. Fact. They’re sweet, spicy and surprisingly light
- Vegan kebabs: we love this simple yet satisfying recipe, especially the delicious avocado dressing to go with it
- Asparagus grain salad: there’s more to a salad than lettuce and cucumber. This delicious, refreshing recipe proves that and then some
- Crispy fried rice: the beauty of this is that there are no ‘right’ ingredients – improvise using whatever you have to hand and let the compliments roll in
- Radicchio salad with fennel, pear, croutons and pecans: locked, loaded, and bursting with flavour. A winner at any BBQ
- Strawberries and cream: the ultimate British summer dessert, with a vegan twist
- Blueberry ice lollies: one for the kids (and the big kids) these are healthy as well as refreshing
- Berry granita: transport your guests to the hills of Tuscany with a scoop (or three) of this icy treat
Though of course, you could skip the cooking altogether and let us take care of it all. Whizz your favourite allplants vegan ready meal into the microwave, and minutes later your guests can be feasting on our Mac and Greens (which also makes a killer side dish if you’ve got the grill handled). Or pop our BBQ Burrito Bowl in a wrap and place on the bbq for an instant (and tasty) enchilada.
Wondering what to serve vegans at a BBQ?
If you’re a meat-eater or veggie, it can be tough to know what to serve up your vegan friends so they don’t get left with lettuce. There are some really great supermarket meat substitutes options available if you want something you can quickly grill. Here are some of our favourites:
- Quorn Hot and Spicy Vegan Burger: a tasty chicken burger alternative loved by vegans and veggies everywhere
- Heck Vegan Sausages: proving there’s more to vegan sausages than Linda McCartney (though will still love you, Linda)
- Naked Glory Quarterpounders: free of meat, full of taste
- Coconut Oil Mature ‘Cheddar’: top any of the above with slices of this for extra wow factor
Attending a vegan bbq?
Not sure what to bring to a vegan BBQ? Don’t sweat. There are loads of great options to charm your host. When in doubt, go simple:
- A bottle of their favourite bubbly: just triple check it’s vegan. Here’s a great roundup of vegan sparkling wines if you’re unsure
- Something to snack on: never underestimate the value of extra snacks. Your host will love you for loading up on things like crisps, nuts, breadsticks etc. People always reach for the snack selection at BBQs (or is that just us…?). Here’s a handy guide of some of our favourite vegan crisps.
By Laura Barns
Laura is our Copywriter, who is obsessed with the Hearty Roots Stew (and has been known to eat a double serve for lunch on more than one occasion). On her day off you’ll find her walking her puppy Ralph, stopping off at bookshops and cocktail bars along the way.