The Ultimate Vegan Night In
Been wondering how to have the best feel-good night in that’s kind on your body, but also the planet? Well, look no further.
In a time when staying in is the new going out, here are our favourite vegan-friendly activities, tips and ideas on making the most of an evening at home.
What’s on the menu?
If you’re anything like us, food is the lynchpin that other plans need to revolve around. The best feel-good night in should involve some of your favourite foods that scratch the itch of any cravings, but don’t necessarily leave you feeling so overwhelmingly full that you can’t enjoy the rest of your night (unless that’s the goal, in which case we applaud you).
Vegan takeaways for a big night in
We know that the idea of our favourite plant-based takeaway can help us get you through the week, and if you’ve already got a number on speed dial, what are you waiting for?
If you’re looking to try something new, this post has all the best tips of ordering vegan food like a boss – from seeking out vegan-friendly recommendations and contacting restaurants directly, to playing it safe with some of our top plant-based go-to’s.
Get some vegan food in beforehand
This is sometimes easier said than done, but thinking about your night in menu ahead of time could save hunger-stricken panics. You could:
- Cook your own vegan fake-away feast – here are our top recipes including ‘fish’ and chips, burritos and bao buns
- Pick up a plant-based pizza during your weekly shop – read this to see our favourite vegan pizza brands
- Order something delicious from allplants – (shameful plug over)
- Then make sure you’ve got some plant-based ice cream in the freezer for afters – here are our top vegan brands (spoiler: vegan Magnum is our favourite)
What to watch?
For some of us, finding the perfect thing to watch is the aim of a feel-good night in, whether that’s with the goal of being entertained, relaxed or thoughtfully engaged. This could be a popular vegan documentary – here are our recommendations – you’ve heard loads about, but haven’t had the time to watch yet. Game Changers, anyone?
After a long week of checking emails, or even just Twitter, avoiding (or simply reducing) blue-light and use of our devices could help you unwind fully and get the most from your big night in. So, close your laptop, light some candIes and try:
- Listening to a podcast – here are 11 vegan podcasts recommendations from Veg News
- Treat your skin with a plant-based face mask – read our guide to vegan skincare for inspiration
- Engaging in some mindfulness activities – be that through mindful cooking or just with the help of a mindfulness app, like Headspace, Calm or Breethe
- Or simply cracking out a deck of cards or a board game and flexing your strategic muscles
Get something to drink
A good night in isn’t complete without something to sip on, and the vegan options are plentiful. Depending on the vibe of your night in, this could be:
- A glass of crisp or deep vegan-friendly wine – here are our top recommendations
- Vegan cocktails – we love this lemon drop recipe from Robert Simpson at The Clove Club
- Or, some plant-based smoothies or juices – here are some tips on shaking things up with your fresh drinks
All that’s left to do is enjoy your big, vegan night in. Let us know what else you end up doing!
By Fabian Jackson
Fabian is one of our lovely Content Marketing Assistants who loves writing almost as much as he loves coffee, old episodes of Escape to the Country (no judgement here), and cooking up a storm in his kitchen.